As a Swiss citizen, you need a residence permit to work in Sweden for longer than three months. You apply for your residence permit after entering Sweden and can start working as soon as you enter the country. When entering Sweden, you must have a valid passport.

Bringing your family

Your spouse/common law spouse/registered partner, dependent children, and dependent parents have the right to join you in Sweden. They must also apply for residence permits, and can also begin working or studying before submitting their application for a residence permit.

Swiss citizens – permits for family members

Applying for a residence permit

To apply for your residence permit, fill in the application form and submit it to the closest Migration Board permit office in Sweden with the following documents enclosed:

  • Copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal data, the period of validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin.
  • certificate of employment from your employer.

It is free of charge for Swiss citizens to apply for a residence permit. You will be informed by the Migration Board when a decision has been made.

If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will receive a residence permit card. The card is proof that you have permission to be in Sweden and contains your fingerprints and a photograph of you.

You must therefore visit your closest Migration Board office to be photographed and fingerprinted as soon as possible after you have submitted your application.

Residence permit application form
Employment certificate (to be completed by your employer)
List of Migration Board offices

What’s next?

Once you’ve decided to come to Sweden for work, it’s time to start planning your move. Read the step-by-step guide for an overview of all the practicalities to keep in mind when planning your move to Sweden.

Source: SI

Leave a Reply